Today is a top 10 early Fall day in New England. The leaves are just starting to change, the temperature is in the 70's. A perfect day to get this project going.
The first step was to remove the gray paint from the oak seat. With a little Citris Strip (my favorite stripper), it came off easily.
There was some rust on the metal legs, but a little coarse sandpaper scuffed it up nicely. A damp towel was all that was needed to finish prepping for spray painting. I chose Rust-oleum, black satin. It was a little tricky to spray the back of the chair, but after a couple of tries with plastic bags, I used packing tape to protect the wood.
After the legs dried, it was on to applying a light coat of stain. I used Minwax "Golden Pecan" as I had it on hand.
I always love watching the change as the wood grain begins to show itself. How many high school kids sat right there as they struggled (well, I struggled) with their experiments.
And here is the finished project, waiting for a new home.